time is life, and a new beginning for me

Thursday, November 29

time.

i think about it a lot. 
how much time is filled and brimming busy with chaos
that i forget to
stop
enjoy and 
savor. 

it's like we're all running around in madness trying to stuff as many activities into our calendar,
and then we are so drained of energy that the busyness is not enjoyable but just distressing. 

Ann Voskamp says 
"hurry always makes us hurt...hurry empties our souls." 

so yes. I think a lot about this. which is why I had this epiphany last year that I wanted to be Amish, and it was my goal. 
but guess what? 
I didn't raise any barns and I didn't make any Amish friendship bread or wear a bonnet. 

but slowly, ever slowly, i made changes to soak in time. 
Kev and I made a vow that our home would be filled with relationships. 
we got rid of tv, iphones, ipads
because we wanted all attention on our guests, not on a distraction. 

so as I read chapter 4 of "1000 Gifts" by Ann Voskamp, I was steadily reminded that time is life. She says

"They say time is money, but that' not true. 
Time is life.
and if i want the fullest life, i need to find fullest time" 

this past year I was overcome with a yearning, almost aching
to be more present. 
especially in my neighborhood. 

I had kids texting me all the time to hang out, and as our busy scheduled filled,
i constantly was trying to cram small spaces to deepen my relationships with these precious kids. 

clearly, very cleary
i felt Abba calling me to consider leaving my job at Empowering Lives International. 
leave? i love my job.
I get to mobilize people here in the US about what God is doing in Africa! 
I get to hear stories of transformation daily! 

but then it became so evident. 
as i looked out into the wounds and pain of my neighborhood
i saw that the gospel must take root, alive and active. 
the good news that FREEDOM is available for all. 
that Abba calls his people out of darkness and into light.

it hit me like a ton of bricks that I wouldn't be true to my calling if I didn't step out to be a messenger of this 
good 
news.

and not just to share it once and run away,
 but to live it alongside these friends i love. 
because discipleship isn't just a one time deal.

it's TIME. 
it's daily walking,
surrendering,
and battling together. 

so friends, i quit my job. 
as of december 31st, i will not longer have a desk job
but a love job. 

as in i get to love as jesus loved, 
and roamed 
and told stories 
and cried
and struggled
and celebrated when those who were lost became found. 

i'm not sure if kev and i will have enough money. 
but i'm realizing this. 

time isn't money. 
time is life.
and the only way to live it is soaked in thankfulness 
when i am thank-full
i am time-full. 

pray for me dearest friends.
i'm scared
and pretty unqualified,
but when we are called to create time for others,
we are called in the right direction. 
i am sure of it. 
because jesus was. 

enjoy your weekend! 
love Katie 




16 comments :

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AWESOME! Count me as a prayer partner, sweet Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How blessed to be called to such an awe inspiring task!! I am praying for you as you take your first tentative steps into the unknown and remember...when you come to the end of all you know and are about to step off into the darkness, having faith is knowing that one of two things will happen. Either there will be something firm for you to stand on or you will be taught how to fly. So soar...soar high like an eagle and know that God is the wind beneath your wings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely praying for you, Katie. I'm incredibly excited and thankful for this job Abba has placed before you. I'm anxiously awaiting lots more neighborhood stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friend, I 'feel' you so much in this post. i get it! The insecurity of giving up a job and focusing on just building relationships. It's a big step of faith. I really think that, in as much as time is money so we need to be busy working, i also think it's a bit easier for most people to just work. it's not the easiest or most comfortable thing to pursue and engage in meaningful relationships. It takes a lot of intent, purpose, and vulnerability. I know there are days where I wish I had a 9-5 job and a task list that I could just do and then feel like I accomplished something. But most of the time, I need to step out of my comfort zone and share my life with others. And for me, that is not always comfortable. Praying for you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. this is amazing and so very brave. god will provide for you; he always does. i wish you the best of luck on this new adventure and i will pray for you and kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. katie how brave. i love u and am confident god will provide for you. i am exciting to see the things god will do with your time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie! As I read your message chills ran down my back, a touch from the holy spirit, INDESCRIBABLE! . It's amazing to see your willingness to be so obedient and follow Jesus calling to spend life with those around us and to fill the gap for those who are lost. I am pray for you sister and can't wait to be a witness to how God will rock your world and walk along side you through your amazing post and words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you! You are truly an inspiration. Your writing is moving and encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GIRL. I just freaked out. & then I called Josh in to tell him all of this and I freaked out again. I am SO proud of you. Joshua and I are both so encouraged. Just yesterday he was reading to me from a book on Hudson Taylor and the faith that he had in life, and we both desire that kind of faith so much. We both are soooo moved by your submission to the call the Lord has placed on you and it just makes me even more excited to see how He uses you!!! You are SO the real deal and I'm so grateful that so many people in this blog world get to see such a genuine believer and be challenged by the way you live!!! AH, I'm still freaking out!!!!!!!!!!
    XoXo Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are inspiring and I mean it! Your heart for Jesus and loving like He loved is SO REAL. I agree lets Skype soon so we can catch up on all of the amazing things He is doing in your life, I can't wait to hear how He is going to use you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Katie...I just love your heart for service!! I am so excited to follow you on this journey because I KNOW God is going to use you in even bigger ways than he already is. I am praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVED this post. and I can't wait to see the ways God will use you in the future. I so appreciate that quote you pulled about time NOT being money, but being life. I need to remember that daily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so excited that you finally announced this! I am so excited to see how God uses you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, that's a huge and a very exciting step, a big change! But I love that phrase "time is life"--I also believe that the not-wasted life is one that was spent on relationships and truly getting involved in people's lives!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooooh, THIS is so good. So refreshing to read. A life fully lived IS relational. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!