A tough few days, with a happy ending

Wednesday, June 11


As many of you already know from social media, these past few days have been incredibly difficult for me. On Monday night Kevin had a full blown heart attack, and truly, was on the verge of death.

To back up and give you some of the back story, Kevin had been feeling chest pain on and off since we had left for Turkey. He experienced it on the plane ride over to Turkey, and a few fleeting moments while we were on our vacation. When we got back last week, Kev immediately went in to the doctors, and was given an EKG. The EKG came back abnormal, so Kevin set up an appointment with a cardiologist for this Tuesday.

Monday night, Kev played basketball with friends, and after he had come home and showered,  began having very intense chest pain. Kevin has a very high pain tolerance, so I knew something must be wrong if he was doubling over in pain. Kevin went back and forth about whether he should go in to the emergency room, and finally his mom and I convinced him he needed to. I think he knew all along he was supposed to go!

We arrived at the emergency room, and they ushered him in right away. In the meantime, i'm sitting in the waiting room, texting friends and family to pray for him. At this point, I honestly didn't think it was going to be anything major. 10 minutes later, a nurse runs out and urgently asks me to come back.

I walk into a room, and to my horror Kevin is laying on a bed with a  100 wires hooked up to him. There are about 5 nurses running around him, and the room is tense. I finally ask someone what is going on. The nurse looks at me, as if to brace me, and whispers, "he's having a heart attack". I lost it, and began to sob. Shock had hit my body.

Within minutes, they prepare Kevin to ride in an ambulance to another hospital which specialized in cardiology.  I had texted his family and my life group to let them know what was going on. They immediately all jumped in their cars and headed for the new hospital.

The ride in the ambulance was scary because it felt so unknown. I really didn't have any idea why he was having a heart attack, and what that meant for him. For pete's sake, my sweet husband is 30 years old, and in great health. It didn't make sense. 

We arrived at the new hospital, and they immediately ushered him into surgery. This was life or death, and every second counted. I sat in the waiting room alone, silently crying, when an EMT came into the room and prayed for me. He was so kind, and gave me a hug after his prayer. I knew God was watching over me and Kevin.

Soon our family and friends arrived, and everyone was sobered by the situation. They hugged me, prayed over me and Kev, laughed with me, and just were there. I felt so wrapped in love that night. The doctor had told me that the surgery would take 30 minutes. 30 minutes went by and we didn't hear anything. 1 hour passed, and still nothing.

This was the hardest part. My mind wandered. I kept wondering, "is this the last time I'll see my husband?" and trembled at the thought. Every time I went there, I crumbled inside. I would be broken without him. I asked for prayers over my mind and thoughts, and soon I felt a very distinct peace. I had to trust that God loved Kevin more than I did. Finally, after what seemed like hours, the doctor poked his head in and called me back. I took Kevin's parents with me. I had no idea what they were going to say to me.

The doctor quickly explained that Kevin's largest artery to his heart had been completely blocked. He was receiving no blood/oxygen to his heart for the last few hours. He looked at me, and said "if you didn't come in tonight, he would have died". The doctor, however, was baffled why a healthy 30 year old who didn't smoke or do drugs, would have a heart attack. The only explanation was family genes, both his grandfather and great-grandfather had a history of heart disease. The doctor and his team had put a stint in Kevin's artery, which will remain there forever. It had taken longer because Kevin is a tall guy, and they had some trouble getting the cathater through his groin, and up into his heart. {who knew you could go through the groin to get to the heart? fascinating!}

When he was done explaining the surgery, I fought every urge inside me to give the doctor a hug and kiss. He saved my husband's life!! I resisted the urge, but loved him for saving a life!

The team moved Kevin to ICU, where he was monitored all night long. He had some irregular heart beats, which made the doctor nervous. I spent all my time with Kevin, as he slept, took his meds, and was tested. Poor guy, my heart was just so heavy for him. Yesterday around late afternoon, we received the good news that Kevin could be moved out of ICU and onto the cardio floor. He had his own quiet room in the corner.

Last night, he took his first few steps around the hallway, which was a victory. We received some wonderful visitors all evening, and then went to bed. I first climbed in to Kev's bed, snuggling with him for about an hour before the nurse told me I needed to go to my cot. I honestly slept like a baby on that cot…but mostly I think it was the happiness over my husband being alive. ALIVE. One verse God gave me in this time was Nehemiah 9:6, which says, "...you give LIFE to everything". I couldn't help but just praise my God for giving life to Kevin.

Today, after so many lovely visitors came to see Kevin, we were told that Kevin was going to be discharged this evening. It was a miracle! Two days before he was on the verge of death, and now he was going home. We are now at home resting. I'm watching my sweet Kevin laying on the couch, and praising Jesus for his life. I know that life is a gift, and i'm so thankful this week God gave me more time with my husband:)

I just want to end by saying a HUGE thank you!! So many of your have left sweet comments on instagram, Facebook, sent me emails, and even called. We have felt absolutely supported from the first minute of this ordeal. I literally think thousands of people have been praying for Kevin, and WE HAVE FELT THE PRAYERS! Thank you thank you thank you. I cannot thank you enough!!

I promise I will try to respond to emails soon! But know that I read them, and was filled with JOY and BLESSING from them:) Ok, well if you made it to the end of this novel, thank you:) You bless me friend!!

xoxo
Katie (and most definitely from Kevin too!!)


56 comments :

  1. Such good news! Praying you guys through this healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this had happened- praising God that Kevin is okay!! What a scary time for both of you, truly a miracle that he is recovering so well!!

    xoxo A
    www.southernbelleintraining.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God he's alright! I can't even begin to imagine how scary this must have been for you, him, and all your loved ones. Wishing you both so much peace and health. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, I was wondering what the whole story was! I feel for you and am glad you had people to help you through that, it's so important. We had a similar experience with Daniel and appendicitis 2 years ago and I still look at him and say "I'm just so glad you're alive." It really simplifies things. Praise God Kevin is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, oh my goodness! Sorry to hear about this but glad it ended well. Sending love and healing your guys' way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I haven't had access to social media since last week, so I didn't know anything was going on! I wish I had known to pray for you guys, but that just shows that God is SO big, and while prayers can do amazing things, God can do even more amazing things. I'm praying now though, that Kevin's heart will be able to stay healthy and working correctly for a LONG time. I'm praying for you, too, Katie, that you'll keep hope in the Lord and believe that He is our Ultimate Healer. Love to both of you and your families!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So thankful you are both home and Kevin is doing better! My husband and I are praying with all our might for you both and for your families!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katie,

    I don't even know what to say. Jesus is good. He is the giver of life and every day is a gift! That saying was cliche to me until my mother-in-law went to be with Jesus. I'm so thankful that God has given Kevin more time here on Earth. He is good!

    Thanks for being kind and updating every one in the blog / social media world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness this makes me cry. I couldn't imagine having to go through those scary moments like you did. Derik's family also has a history of heart disease and it worries me, but I know God holds the future in his hands. That's so amazing that the EMT came and prayed with you! Sometimes God brings people into our lives at just the right moment-he will get give us more than we can handle.

    I am so happy for you both that Kevin is on the road to recovery! I pray that it's a swift one.

    Much Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Katie,
    We're with my parents in Oregon right now. Just glanced at FB and saw this link. I shared with David and with my parents. Wow, we are praising God with you for His healing in Kevin's life. Praying for you both.
    David and Allison Tarus

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katie, This post had me in tears. I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must have been for you. I'm so glad your hubby is recovering so well! Continuing to pray over you both <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! That's insane! So glad he's ok and recovering at home! I know that makes you so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Katie, How terrifying! I'm so glad he's going to be okay. That's so strange that it seemingly came out of nowhere! I hope recovery goes very smoothly, and I'm glad you guys were able to get to a hospital so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry! My father went through something almost identical to this and had emergency bipass surgery 10 years ago - we lived at the hospital for a week while he was recovering and I will never forget how scary that time was. So thankful that God was watching over him and that you made it to the doctors in time - I will keep your family in my daily prayers! xo

    www.pennypincherfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so happy to hear of Kevin's healing and your return home. Thank God for you and his mom making him go to the ER! Hang in there while he recovers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...PRAISE THE LORD--that truly was His operating and healing power at work!!!!...I'm so happy for you--I'll keep all of ya'll in my prayers!!

    Best,
    Betty J. Ogburn

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a terrifying ordeal for both of you. I am so glad that your husband is well on his way to recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. PRAISE THE LORD!!! I have been praying like crazy since I saw your first Instagram post. I'm so glad he's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rejoicing in this MIRACLE and healing that the Lord did sweet friend!! Praying that this time would be restful and completely healing as y'all rejoice in this amazing answer to prayer!! PRAISING the Lord with you for this answer!!! Sending big hugs and lots and lots of prayers across the miles!!
    :) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my... I couldn't imagine being in this position. I am so happy Kevin is okay now, and well on his way to recovery. It would have been a big shock to you and his family. But overall I am glad he's okay. :)

    Love your blog, girl! x

    Naturally Jes

    ReplyDelete
  21. My heart!!! Crying like a baby. I am soooooo grateful that the Lord spared Kevin's life. He has used you two in so many beautiful ways and clearly isn't done!! You two are such a phenomenal representation of Christ, and I know He will use this whole experience for His glory! Love y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praise God he's ok!!! Oh my goodness, I can't imagine going through something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So wonderful to hear!! We've been praying for both of you and will continue to do so as Kevin recovers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Praise the Lord! So happy to hear he's home and recovering. Still praying!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i want you to know that i'm sitting at work with tears of joy streaming down my face.
    when i saw your post on instagram i immediately prayed texted friends to pray.
    the power of God continues to humble me and i am so thankful that the Lord has given you and kevin more time to share His Gospel and experience life this side of heaven.
    katie, you are such a joy and inspiration, as is kevin, and i am truly blessed to "know you" through this blog world.
    y'all will continue to be in my prayers and hallelujah and praise be to God for this beautiful miracle.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gah, I am crying and rejoicing with you, Katie! Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such excellent news! I've been praying for you both this week and I'm so glad that we can praise Him for answering prayers and giving you more time together. I will of course continue to pray and send healing, restful thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Saying prayers of thankfulness this morning! And thanks for posting an update Katie =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so so happy that he is OK. I will keep you both in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  30. SO glad to hear that he's okay. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Katie, Praise God our Father!!!!! Words escape me right now other than praises to our Lord for caring for Kevin. I had heart surgery in 2012 (as a 28 year old) and remember too well how frightening matters of the heart can be. I'll be praying over Kevin, his recover and you! Love, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! As a nurse I am shocked to hear of a heart attack at such a young age! I'm so glad your husband is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank God that Kevin is okay! I can't imagine what you must have been going through when this whole thing was happening. I hope he gets better soon and stays healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm glad he is better! I will say a prayer that his health will continue on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  35. katie, i am just sitting here with tears in my eyes. so very thankful for the Lord's protection over Kevin. glad y'all are home and he is recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  36. oh dear! i'm soooo glad Kev is fine now! thank God and that doctor! Our God is faithful! i pray for good health for both of you! it's good to be alive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. So glad he is home now! Praise Jesus! Continuing to pray for you both during full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I somehow had missed all of this on social media. I will be sending LOTS of prayers your way in the weeks to come. Praise God! I am so happy you trusted the advice to go to the hospital. It's amazing how quickly everything can change.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am so sorry you two had to go through this, but God is faithful and I'm so thankful for your happy ending! You had me crying just thinking about something like this happening to my own husband. I just can't imagine. I will keep praying for you both. So glad Kevin is back home with you. Love you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm so sorry to hear about what happened, but I am so happy for you & Kevin that he is okay!!! I can't even imagine what that must have felt like---you seemed to have stayed strong & took such good care of him while he was in the hospital. You have a lot of people that care for you and that prayed for Kevin, and that support has helped and will continue to help you get through this time. Thinking of you & Kevin during his recovery! Also, thank you for feeling like you could share that story with all of your readers---I'm just someone that you don't know and I appreciated you sharing that with me, because now I can send good thoughts your way :)
    Love from Buenos Aires xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow! This is so scary. I am so glad Kevin is okay. You all are in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. oh my goodness. sending you and Kevin so much love!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Y'all have been on my heart ever since this happened! Continuing to pray for you guys, but giving praise to God that everything turned out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Even though I knew how this story was going to end (thanks to FB/insta updates), it still tore at my heart while reading it. I really cannot fathom the heartache and worry you have experienced this week. I am SO glad that Kevin is at home and resting now. What an answer to prayer! We will continue praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a scary thing to happen! My Dad had a heart attack at 42 and it's definitely a scary thing to deal with. So glad that Kevin is going to be OK! My thoughts are with you guys during his recovery. What an amazing thing that you had so many people drop what they were doing to comfort you and be there for Kevin, you both are definitely so blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I started praying as soon as I saw your instagram... Praise God that he is ok!!!! Praise God for precious life!! I love you so much my friend. Thankful beyond compare that your husband is with you and alive!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Praise God everything is alright. Giving God the praises for the wonderful gift of life to Kevin.
    Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  48. SO scaary!! that must have been really difficult. So glad he is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  49. whoa... that is one close call. i cannot believe your husband flew to turkey and back despite having chest pain; he seriously has some high pain tolerance! praise God that he survived and is doing well now. praise God in His Soveignty and Providence. hope that your husband has a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  50. My goodness! My heart sunk just reading this. But what a blessing to have gotten him on time...such an act of God! I will pray for his continued recovery and also pray for you!

    Best wishes for you both!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  51. what a terrifying story. i am so happy to hear he is doing better and that you guys got to rest at the beach. you are a brave woman to trust God so deeply. you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I'm so glad he's ok! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  53. So relieved to hear he is is doing okay. I can't imagine how scary this must have been to go through!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I am so encouraged at how God worked it out that you were stateside and close to family when this all happened. Blessings on his long-term recovery! Make sure you remember to take care of yourself too!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!